If you are feeling overworked, or if you want to expand your veterinary practice, you may be looking to hire a new associate. This decision can have long-term effects for your business. At Reliance Consulting, LLC, we can help you with every aspect of the hiring process. We will evaluate your practice needs and finances to determine whether it is a good time to expand your team. We can also help you attract ideal associates and establish benefit programs. Whether you are a first-time practice owner or a veteran, we can help you take your clinic to a new level. Contact us today to learn more about hiring assistance for veterinarians.
Is It Time to Hire an Associate?
Expanding your team is not a decision you should undertake lightly. Adding a new associate is a major investment. It also involves a personal commitment because you will need to adapt your working habits. The following are signs that it may be a good time to hire a new associate:
- You have the financial resources necessary to expand your team
- You want to serve more clients or offer extended hours
- You want to add to your provided services and/or offer specialized treatments
- Your practice currently has a full schedule
If you are unsure about your ability to hire an associate, consider adding a part-time employee. He or she will allow you to expand your practice with less of a financial investment.
Creating a Job Description
Once you have decided to proceed with the hiring process, you will want to attract the right candidates. Writing an accurate job description is a vital step. Your job description should be concise and to-the-point. At the same time, it should contain certain essential information, including:
- Job title
- Basic duties, procedures, and methods used
- Specialties or areas of expertise, if applicable
- Relationship to the overall practice structure
When you are hiring a new associate, you will also need to establish employee benefits. Certain benefits are required by law. These include Social Security, unemployment insurance, disability insurance, and leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act. If you already have one or more employees, the structures for these benefits should already be in place. However, if you are hiring your first team member, you will need to apply for an Employer Identification Number (EIN), set up a payroll system, and complete any necessary paperwork.
Although other benefits are optional, a good package will attract a larger pool of candidates. Then you will be able to choose the team members that are most suitable for your practice. In addition, this will create a nurturing and supporting work environment in which your team can grow. Non-required benefits include:
- Retirement plans and pensions: There are a number of plans developed specifically for small business owners.
- COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act) Benefits: These benefits give employees and their families temporary access to health care if they retire or are laid off.
- Employee incentive programs: Small perks can make a huge difference in workplace morale. Incentives could include gym or recreational memberships, flexible working hours, and company functions, among others.
Reliance Consulting Can Help with All Your Hiring Needs
Hiring an associate is a major milestone in your career. Our consultants can help you through this process so you can enjoy the maximum benefits for your practice. Our hiring services include:
- Analyzing your practice to determine your need for additional team members
- Calculating the costs of a new hire
- Evaluating your financial statements to determine if hiring is a sound financial choice
- Helping you create a job description
- Applying for an EIN
- Establishing a payroll system
- Helping you choose a retirement or pension plan for your team
- Completing necessary paperwork for health care benefits
- Identifying and establishing employee incentive programs
Since 1984, Reliance Consulting, LLC has helped more than 800 business expand and develop. We are ready to help you achieve similar success as you build your team. We will work with you on an ongoing basis. You can turn to us for advice during any step of the hiring process, and we will be available afterwards to address your concerns. We offer specialized services for veterinarians. Because we understand the hallmarks of this industry, we can help you build an efficient, talented team.
Contact Us and Begin Building Your Practice
If you are ready to expand your veterinary clinic, contact Reliance Consulting today. We serve veterinarians in Tampa, St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Sarasota, Pasco, Lakeland, and the greater Tampa Bay area.